Future of the lightning port
I’ve read on numerous forums that Apple might be looking to replace the lightning port with the USB-C port on iPhones.
I think they might be looking to do away with the port altogether. I upgraded to the iPhone X from my iPhone 6 Plus late last year.
Since then, I’ve hardly needed to use the lightning port on my phone.
1. Charging happens through wireless charging pads on my bedside table and office desk.
2. I have a set of AirPods for phone calls and casual music listening.
3. I have a pair of Bose QC 35s for when I want some good noise cancellation, like on flights.
4. Syncing and backups happen every night to iCloud. I have a 200GB iCloud storage plan.
5. Whenever I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop, I use WiFi
So in the past almost 9 months, I’ve had to use the lightning port maybe half a dozen times, mainly for charging when out and about or when I’m on holiday. And once when I had to backup a bunch of irreplaceable pictures to an external hard drive.
So I think within the next couple of iterations of the iPhone, Apple is going to show some “courage” and do away with the charging/ data port altogether. That’ll go a long way in making the phone water and dust proof.
What do you guys think?