Upgraded from iPhone 8 to iPhone XS, here are my thoughts and praye- I mean suggestions
* Gestures are fun and easy to learn. I’m actually surprised I don’t miss the Home button at all.
* Thank god you can screenshot with volume up + power button. It’s so much easier than Home button + power button.
* The camera is amazing and especially the selfie camera is a big step up. But in low light the camera is still, to quote kanye, poopy di scoop. I realize there are hardware limitations but I expected much better for that sweet, sweet wallet draining price.
* Bokeh adjustment works well most of the time but it’s really bad at deciding what’s fur. RIP my planned majestic cat portraits. Also, to take a photo where you can adjust the background blur you have to be within a certain range from the subject. I didn’t realize this at first and wondered if my portrait mode was glitchy. Would’ve been nice with a heads up about that.
* The OLED screen is sharper but softer. It’s hard to describe but definitely easier on the eyes. Having OLED a few days changes the game and when I go back to my iPhone 8 screen I see flaws where before there were none. OLED is just that much better. Side effect: basically all images look like low resolution crap now (only half joking).
* FaceID failed a lot the first day but two days later it works even better than TouchID (Machine learning EYO?) I did reset it once during the first day, just so I could scan my face from a 45 degree angle from below (since that’s where the phone usually is anyway) and I added a second face when I’m lying on my side in bed. Don’t know if it matters but I’ve had no issues other than:
* I’m nearsighted to the degree that I hold the phone at about 15 cm from my face when I’m not wearing glasses. That’s too close for FaceID to identify me so it’s a slight annoyance (on the bright side it might help with stretching my neck from time to time).
* Let’s talk having to double press a button to use FaceID when you for example identify yourself on the AppStore. Why not scan as soon as I hit the download button? Ok, I get that people want an option to cancel but at least disable it on apps that don’t cost anything.
* The space below the keyboard is wasted. My friend has a jailbroken phone and placed a small row of the most recent emojis there. That’s practical, especially since I now have to twist my thumb in an uncomfortable way to reach the new position for the emoji button (it’s below the 123-button). Get to it, Apple!
* I really like the switching between apps by swiping the Home indicator, but I wish there was a way to turn it off in fullscreen apps (mostly games).
These are just some of the things I’ve noticed the last two days. Did you have the same experience? What are you upgrading from and what’s the biggest difference for you?