Yesterday I’ve switched from an SE to 8, my impressions so far
Hi everyone, as in the title yesterday I’ve finally replaced my companion that served me well. I will miss it, but one of my friends wants to buy it from me so I know it’ll be in good hands. Things and quirks that I’ve noticed:
1. Screen is so, so much better. Colours are more vibrant, and I like the new “True Tone” function. It’s not too big (which I was afraid of, I’ve got an average hands of ~5’6 woman). I’d say that it’s perfect and got used to it nearly instantly, we’ll see how it goes with pockets (I’ve also bought a product red silicone case with it). Things on the screen are not squeezed like they were on the SE and typing is like 300% better. And on a home screen there’s one more horizontal line of icons.
2. TouchID and home button. TouchID is way faster, about twice as fast as it was on the SE. Home button as probably everyone knows isn’t a button anymore but vibrator inside the phone makes it feel like it actually is. Definitely weird feeling because it kinda feels like you’re pressing half of the phone inside it’s case, but nothing too big. You can also have 3 options to choose how it should feel.
3. Speaker(s?) is a lot louder and sounds more clear. I don’t mind headphone jack being gone, included lightning earphones sound just a liiitle bit better than ones provided with SE (however, the new lightning earphones have lower build quality, cables are plastic instead of rubber and are thinner). But they’ve been used nearly everyday for the past 2 years so probably that’s why. I’m planning to buy wireless ones, but want to find something relatively cheap that have the same charging port as the iPhone.
4. Charger is… exactly the same as the one I’ve got with SE 2 years ago. Exactly the same looks and model number. It really surprised me, but it does its job just fine. I won’t buy the extra charger for the fast charging, but I’ll probably buy a wireless charger. With this and wireless earphones I’ll have no need for cable mess anymore.
5. Haven’t really tested the camera yet, but it seems to have better focus. If anyone would like me to post some samples, tomorrow I’ll be in Warsaw so I’ll have a lot of pictures that I could show. Flashlight is brighter I think.
6. Speed. It surprised me because SE was fast… but this thing is even faster. Applications are opening faster and all that stuff. It’s especially visible when you compare them side-by-side. Wasn’t expecting it, but hey, I’ll take it 😀
7. Battery definitely lasts longer. My SE had worn battery so keep it in mind (86% of capacity) but I think it’s about 40% better. But then again, I’ve got this phone for less than a day so can’t really test that one out yet.
8. These new vibrations are more subtle, quieter and are a part of just using the phone. Like a feedback while setting the alarm or refreshing the app. Really nice touch.