How to (kind of) sync your iCloud Calendar/iCal with Google Calendar.
Hello r/Apple members,
Recently, I was using Google Docs when I realized that you can access Google Calendar from the sidebar. I thought this was a very convenient integration for GCal users, and was dismayed to find that there was no way to connect your Apple Calendar (duh). A few years ago, I stopped adding events to GCal and instead started adding everything to the calendar app on my iPhone. So, here is the workaround I am using to show all of the events that I have added to my iCloud Calendar on Google Calendar.
1. Open the Calendars application on a Mac or iOS device, then click on Calendars.
2. On a Mac, hover over the calendar you would like to view in GCal, then click the share icon that will appear. On an iOS device, click the lowercase “I” next to the name of the calendar.
3. On a Mac, check the option for public calendar, click the share button, and copy the link (unless someone logs on to your computer, nobody else will be able to see this link). On an iPhone, switch on public calendar, then tap “Share Link” and copy it.
4. On a Mac, visit [calendar.google.com](https://calendar.google.com) and click on the cog icon to access the setting icon. From here, choose settings. On an iOS device, tap the tab menu in the top left, then select Settings.
5. On a Mac, select “Add calendar”, then select “From URL”. Paste in the URL of calendar you want, then make sure the publicly accessible option isn’t enabled. On an iOS device, you have two options. The first is to add all of the calendars from iCloud that you wish to view in GCal from a desktop browser, then tap the check box beside them to view them in the Google Calendar app on your iOS device when you’re done. The second option is to go to “Manage accounts” (still from the settings page), then switching on the iCloud toggle.
6. Lastly, on a Mac, click the box next to the calendar you’ve added to make sure it is being shown under the “Settings for other calendars” heading.
7. Repeat for all calendars you wish to view in GCal!
The only drawbacks I can find to this are a) You cannot create events on the Google Calendar client, only view the events you’ve already added on your iCloud Calendar and b) your iCloud calendars are now publicly shared (this shouldn’t be of concern, unless you are VERY worried about your security).
If anyone knows a better way of doing this, please let me know.