I Decided: Is Going From a X -> XR
Happy Sunday folks!
I thought I’d share this thought piece of my deciding to switch from an iPhone X to an iPhone XR. My hope is to switch this month but today I spent a good 40 minutes with the phone, comparing it to my current iPhone X.
These were my impressions from the comparison:
1. **The Screen** – I understand, some folks will prefer the OLED and deep blacks. One thing I’ve noted personally when using the X for extended periods of time is eye-strain. I’m unsure of PWM on my end, although I don’t recall my eyes feeling tired when I used an LCD screen. Additionally, I’d call the LCD screen a “lite” version of OLED. Seriously, comparing both side-by-side my X had a hint of deeper colors (I made sure we also used the same wallpapers). Black backgrounds also didn’t appear too grey or bright to me on the display as well. If anything, it’s as if someone placed a slightly opaque layer over the LCD screen. I also didn’t notice pixelation unless I stared at the thing and had it close to my face.
2. **Speed** – This is a small increase, honestly doesn’t stick out much to me. Both are excellent phones.
3. **Size** – This is perfect to me. I’ve enjoyed the X but there are moments where it has felt small, even for my hands. The XR also doesn’t weigh as much as the XS Max which feels like a small weight in my hand.
4. **Camera** – Sure, I Instagram like everyone else. However, I also use a Nikon and real photo software for photography, the phone is just for fun. The X had a good camera but low light photography is still lacking (here’s hoping for an Apple version of “Night Sight”). I do use Halide, which I’ve found excellent, so that should help with Portrait-mode and pets!
5. **Battery** – This is my core reason for upgrading; I’m usually on the go, and I’d love for an iPhone that screams battery power – the compromise to the screen is worth it to me, and I’m excited to try this out!
That’s about it, I just wanted to layout my own experience as a X user. While I don’t have the device in hand yet, I thought the insight might help those searching for similar details. Should I get it, and use it, I’ll try to come back to those post with edits on how it has done with more real-world use.
Thanks all, and stay well!