iPad Pro 2018 12.9 review from a Surface Pro user
I’ve been using Surface Pro 2017 as a note taking device and I purchased 12.9 inch iPad Pro recently and here’s what I noticed.
What iPad does better:
1. **Pen experience** is better on iPad Pro but not because the handwriting looks any better. N-trig has caught up a lot between Surface Pro 4 and 5. It’s a nice pen that has more rubbery feel and precision wise better than iPad. Where it comes apart is the effort required to write. The sharp edges on the pen hurt on long note taking sessions and more friction on the nibs means more strain to make it move. HP pen tips sold separately felt uncomfortable.
2. **Grounding** was a huge problem on Surface because on some outlets, the pen would not work.
3. **Bad battery life**, averaging 4-5 hours + the grounding issue + 5 hour lectures = disaster.
4. **Heat**: actually nice because Surface Pro comes with a free heater to rest your hands on at cold environment.
5. **Onenote**: clunky mess compared to notability, especially when moving objects. Some person at Microsoft thought that simply touching anywhere after using a pen to bring up software keyboard was a good idea. Also buried undo and redo together in a submenu and reverted back after few months.
Here’s what iPad does worse:
1. **What’s a computer? Something that has a proper file system.** Hasn’t improved at all from the last time I’ve used an iPad, the iPad 2.
2. Can’t download files in the background reliably.
3. **It is a damn shitty laptop.** Safari brings up mobile pages. Apps are scaled up iPhone apps that don’t have the full capability. (Edit: obviously not the awesome iPad-oriented apps like notability)
4. “Who needs a stylus?” – Jobs, “Me. By the way, who needs a mouse?” – Cook
Tldr: It’s the best note taking device in every way imaginable, and the shittiest $1000 laptop in short of chromebooks.