Outline Notes – free notes app that makes it easy to group and reorder thoughts
I had a need for a simple writing app, I couldn’t find anything that existed so I taught myself swift to build an iOS app. I year later, I’ve rebuilt it and refreshed the design https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outline-notes-lists-ideas/id1342189178.
I’d love a round of feedback for this version.
* Completely free, no ads, iCloud support for backup and cross device sync
* It’s another notes app BUT its specialty is grouping and re-ordering. When I write, I tend to just write whatever comes to my mind and then organize and edit later. I also tend to group and nest my thoughts.
* I found copying and pasting cumbersome for moving things around, so I thought “why not drag & drop?”. You can drag individual items or entire groups.
* I found using dashes as bullets to signify nesting hard to parse, so I thought “why not swipe to indent/outdent”.
* For to-do lists, like my Outline Bugs list, I found it cumbersome to write something like “DONE”, so I thought “why not swipe to mark as done”. So now you can swipe to add a checkmark and see a visual difference.
* Sharing works well in that it shares a text representation of your note but there was no easy way to import someone else’s note, like my wife’s to-do list for me, into my Outline, so I thought “why not export and import as CSV?” Now you an export your note, share it however iOS lets you share it, and the receiver can “Open in” Outline. It creates a new note with the same structure as the original.
* Finally you can create, use, and share templates!
You can read more about the story and applications of this style of writing here: https://outlinenotes.com/#story