I figured out a way to permanently hide the 4 annoying popups to “View BLAHBLAH in the official app” when browsing this site on Safari
I have shared this a few months back but seems like Reddit recently updated and added another popup to their mobile site. So I did some digging and thought I would share the new adguard rules to hide the annoying popups.
I sometimes use google searches to find specific reddit posts and these popups have been getting very annoying recently. I was extremely annoyed by these popups taking over half my screen and not accepting “No” as an answer. This also lets me hide the other “Open Reddit App” and “Use App” buttons as I don’t use the official reddit app anyway so they were pointless.
**Before/After Screenshot of what I am talking about:**
It also hides google AMP banners for reddit as shown here:
1. Use any free content blocker app available on store. I used [AdGuard](https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adguard-adblock-privacy/id1047223162?mt=8). The free version pretty much lets me do everything I need. I am NOT affiliated by them in any way.
2. In your content blocker app of choice, enter rules to hide the following classes:
.dualpartinterstitial (this is for the bottom huge banner)
.topbutton (This is for the “Use App” button at top)
.xpromopill (This is for the “Open Reddit App” button at the bottom)
.upsell_banner (For Google AMP Pages)
.xpromopopup (The full screen modal popup with “See this community popup”)
.adlinkbar (The “Promoted” links)
3. So for AdGuard, launch the app, go to “User Filter” and enter the following:
**NOTE:** the .upsell_banner is used for when Reddit opens via Google AMP and since it’s coming from Google’s domain and not Reddit’s, .upsell_banner needs to be in a separate line.
Here’s a screenshot of it all:
4. Tap Done and it will take a few seconds to take effect.
5. Completely quit Safari from the app switcher.
6. Now whenever you visit reddit on safari, those would be permanently hidden!
**NOTE:** You can hide other UI elements on other websites this way too. However one thing I figured out while testing this was a bug (not sure if a reddit bug or AdGuard bug) is that **the class names need to be entered all lower cased for it to work**.
You can also hide those annoying cookie notifications in AdGuard. Go to filters, scroll to annoyances section and enables the “I don’t care about cookies” filter.
Hope this helps someone!
**EDIT:** For those using 1Blocker, someone figured it out:
**Edit:** wow didn’t know this would be in such high demand! Glad I could make your life a bit easier for you guys! Thanks for the gold, platinum and all the wholesome comments!