Looking at the new TV app. Is it ready to replace iTunes and the old TV app?
In the iOS 12.3 beta 1 there is a new TV app. The biggest new features are:
– Apple Channels, this means that you can subscribe to services right in the app and play content from those channels right in the app.
– The whole iTunes library is now available in the TV app.
The overall look of the new app is great, especially the Movie and TV shows pages, but there are some features/things missing to replace the old TV app and iTunes app:
– Write reviews about Movies and TV shows.
– Automatically play the next episode. When you finished watching a movie it will automatically continue watching the next thing from up next.
– Search Movies/TV Shows by genre.
– The Movie/TV Show pages from movies/TV Shows in your library don’t have that nice new design.
– There are no charts.
– You can’t mark Movies/episodes from TV Shows as watched.
– When you 3D Touch on content, that menu looks very ugly and not in line with the Music, Podcasts and Books app.
I’ve also got some other feature requests:
– See what your friends are watching like you can see what your friends are listening to on Apple Music.
– Apple Music should be an Apple Channel so every TV content from Apple Music will be playing right in the TV app. (Also make Carpool Karaoke season 2 available everywhere)
– Better support for a serie of movies like “Harry Potter: The Complete Bundle”. In the Books app this is so much better. It gives the books the right order and shows the number. I also want bundles to have the same design as the movie and TV Shows pages.
– Differentiate movies and bundles when you are searching, they are not the same!
– Get a notification when the pre ordered movie is available.
– Report problems about movies.
– When there is a soundtrack album from a movie, I want to see it on the movie page.
These things would make the new TV app much better I think. Do I miss things? Let me know would love to discuss about the new TV app.