ipad as temporary substitute for mac mini??
i have recently been shopping for a mac mini, and the prices are beyond my expectation and pocketbook! ive read thru this ‘what should i buy’ thread, and found some good info, but not all of my questions were answered.
i thought for a while, a year or so, i could purchase an ipad, that would hold me over until i can get the mac mini. i have a monitor and a blue tooth keyboard. here are some of my questions:
1. i have an old ipad (10 years old) that is not recognized as a device when i plug it into my mac book pro. would the new ipads be recognizeable as a device if i plugged it into a pro?
2. with an i pad, would I be able to back up data to a time machine?
3. most of my work involves writing, so would i be able to use microsoft word, or other software, for example on a new ipad?
4. would i be able to use firefox, to be able to use ad blockers such as ublock origin?
5. i just read on wikipedia that new ipads have a ‘lightning’ connector. and they mentioned that one could drive a monitor using lightning. is this true? (my monitor has a DIV jack).
6. would i be able to download vids from youtube with the correct download software?
7. i wouldnt take the ipad with me when i leave the house so size does not matter much, i am more interested in features, but i dont require a large screen since i have a monitor.