Future MacBook/Air/Pro Design?
Has anyone heard if Apple is going to make their future MacBook product line more serviceable? As an IT Professional I am continuously frustrated by some of the changes on the most recent line of products. The materials feel cheaper, and there are many scenarios where one part failure requires an entire top case or logic board replacement. To summarize:
1. New keyboard does not feel as good to type on for users. Also the design easily allows for particles to get stuck in the keys causing them to jam up. Having a keyboard cover is almost mandatory even for those who are clean/neat.
2. Cannot upgrade RAM/Hard Drive on most newer models without replacing the entire logic board. Same goes for a failure on either of these.
3. Replacing the battery means replacing the entire Top Case.
4. Touch bar has been causing tons of problems, and fails on a good number of computers I examine.
5. Service procedures are becoming more and more convoluted. One of the MacBook Pro touchbar models requires a “holder” and suction cups to simply remove the bottom case. Seems a bit excessive.
Every year I am growing more frustrated with these products and having to provide support for them. I have colleagues whose IT Departments have stopped providing hardware support on MACs entirely due to the increasing barriers to service them, and instead just send the customers to the local Apple Store.