Weird issue with iPad vs. rented, downloaded movies – please help.
I’ve got an iPad Pro that’s 2 years old. I have issues when viewing rented, downloaded movies on an airplane. I recently had an issue where the movies would not play during a flight from Boston to San Jose. I wrote quite a rant about this, but pared it down to objective facts as best I can. Afterwards, I have a few questions I hope you/someone/anyone can help:
* I rented 4 movies on iTunes.
* I downloaded the movies to my laptop.
* I used iTunes to move the movies to the iPad; this was 2-3 days prior to flying.
* I boarded the flight, clicked on the iPad’s TV app, and watched 2 movies – no problem.
* I did not use my iPad for another 6 days. Never even powered it on; I just charged it up back to 100%.
* On day 7, on the return flight home, once the plane was aloft, I clicked on the iPad’s TV app, and selected a rented, downloaded movie – one of two I haven’t yet seen. It would not play. Neither would the other one. Each time I tried, the movie’s title screen would flash for 1/2 second and then disappear. I rebooted the iPad to no avail. Each movie would fail to load, sometimes delivering the error message: “Cannot Open – This content is not authorized.” I checked my “restrictions” in Settings and have none set.
* After much swearing and agitation, I signed up for JetBlue’s free WiFi and tried a movie again. I got no loading errors, no messages, it just began to play. Thank goodness I was on a JetBlue flight.
And here are my questions:
* What exactly is going on?
* Is Wi-Fi needed to play a movie I’ve rented, and downloaded? If true, why did it work on the first flight (where I had no Wi-Fi), but not a week later?
* Why would I get a message saying “Cannot Open – This content is not authorized.” when in fact it IS authorized, and on my iPad?
* How do I prevent this from happening on my next flight?