Built-in mic on iPad Pro 10.5 only works for select apps
Mic only works for camera, Siri, and diction, not for any other apps I’ve tried. Reset it many times and in many ways, and nothing. External mics do work.
I’ve been struggling with my mic malfunctioning since over a week ago. I’ve exhausted pretty much all of my options, besides replacing it (too costly as we did not get an extended warranty), and I feel like the cheapest solution at this point would be to get an external microphone (that can catch audio as well as the built in mic did).
But before that, I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on here since I haven’t found anything like my problem online.
Regarding this whole issue:
1. My iPad is an iPad Pro 10.5, running 12.4 at the time of the issue, but now 12.4.1. It is a year and almost 4 weeks old and I am super careful with it.
2. Last Sunday, an attempt at Facetiming made me find out my mic was not working. It had definitely been working a few days before, if not actually the day before, and the only change had been an uninstallation of two apps (both SuperStar games by Dalcom).
3. While looking into my mic, I found out it WORKS for the camera, Siri, and diction via the keyboard. But it DOES NOT WORK for apps like Facetime, Notability, or Voice Memos.
4. I have reset it many times, both with my data restored and without it. Resetting and restoration with and without the back up data has been done via a Windows laptop, while resetting with no back up data restored has been attempted with a Macbook. Nothing has helped.
5. Today, I also reset it via DFU, though I restored it with the same default firmware offered in iTunes as I was concerned over where to get old firmware. This also did not work.
6. I have visited the Apple store (and a local technician). They cleaned out the ports and tried out things themselves, but none of these actions helped.
7. The only solution we did find in the Apple store was recording via the mic on a headphone set plugged into the audio jack. The mic on the iPad itself still did not work though as we tried with headphones without a mic, and no audio was caught on the forementioned apps.
8. I also tried to see if reinstalling the uninstalled games would help, but that did not work either.
Considering all of this, I do not know what else to do except to purchase an external mic. I’m also shocked that I haven’t found solutions of this problem online with the microphone being selective with the apps it works for, a few problems, but no follow-ups, so I feel incredibly unlucky (especially since this happened just a few weeks after the warranty expired). I wouldn’t be surprised if other people have probably just sent it in for a new one. However, this situation is just very frustrating, especially since I don’t know if it’s definitely a hardware issue, a software issue, or both.
So am I stuck with looking for a mic or is there anything else anyone can recommend? Thank you so much in advance and sorry for this whole long mess.