For developers! (VSCode through code-server)
If you use iPadOS (maybe even on iOS 12 for now, but didn’t test), you can actually launch up a code-server instance on your server and then through a web browser (safari browser on iPadOS), access the code-server. It’s pretty much VSCode in all it’s glory with extensions and all.
There are ofcourse some limitations that you just probably won’t be able to go around do to it not being built for non-desktop browsers (even though Apple did changes to safari on iPadOS, it’s still limited in some aspects, mostly with the UI, some UI elements are not accessible completely, but they’re also not really needed), but for the most part it doesn’t bother me, and if you need to get some development done and can go around those issues, this works great.
I honestly saved 10-20 bucks from buying an app that only does 30-50% of what VSCode can do, and I have an added plus of accessing it from any machine as long as I have an internet connection and syncs to a centralized server. Since it’s also your server, you can literally install any compilers/dev tools you want as well and works with VSCode as long as it’s meant as an integration.
All this server stuff might not even be needed once Microsoft comes up with VSCode Online soon! Keep in tune 🙂 For the meanwhile, this works I’d say 80% well! It’s really up to microsoft to make the rest of the 20% a smoother experience for non-desktop users, but you can’t really blame anyone due to priorities being to desktop-users.