Using an iPad with a Camera (RAW + JPG files)
Edit: I’ve updated this post with information from the comments and additional information to help others.
I’m hoping someone can shed some light on how I can use my iPad (2018) with my camera (Sony A7R3).
My biggest difficult is separating the RAW files from the JPG files. The JPG files are around 20MB and the RAW files are around 40MB so it would be preferable if I could simply not import the RAW to the iPad, but I would be happy to import them then delete them if this is an option.
What I’ve tried:
* **Photos app:** Good for displaying and organising photos in albums but has limited import options, unable to select only JPEG or only RAW. It imports both files automaticaly, in addition to this, I havn’t been able to work out how to view metadata from within the Photos app. mercer2x2 mentions below that the Photos ap becomes impossible when there are thousands of photos that need organisation.
* **File Browser app:** As Crowdfunder101 mentions below, files can sort by file type (but doesn’t display the extension), this becomes tedious when wanting to import photos from different dates. ~~I was hoping to use the Browser app to copy only the JPG images but the search doesn’t search for file extension, so typing in JPG returns no results (and file extensions are also hidden so I cant manually do this).~~
* **Darkroom app:** This app is really good. It is similar to Lightroom but it has great integration with the Photos app. It lets you save photos overwriting the origional, this can be done in batch too. It’s a great way of reducing photo sized. Editing RAW files is supported but the application keeps crashing when I make changes, however it works fine on 10MB JPEG files.
* **Lightroom app:** I managed to create a new album and copy only JPEG files to it but due to the poor integration with the Photos app it becomes difficult to get the photos back so that other Apps can interact with them. Unfortunately the App has a subscription preventing RAW editing.
* **Pixelmator app:** I purchased this as it was advertised as a Lightroom alternative but there are no photo organisation features (I immediatly attempted to get a refund but was denied by Apple). This app allows you to edit single images similar to Snapseed.
* **Multiple SD cards in the camera:** I’ve taken the advice of the commenters and this seems like the most simple option.
I feel that Apple are on the right track but they still need to provide improvments the Photos app providing users with the ability to manage their photos in more detail.