What Apps Helped Replace a Laptop?
I am looking at replacing my Linux based laptop with an iPad Pro 11″, but this could apply to any iPad used as a laptop/desktop replacement.
Specifically, I am looking for apps that helped transition you from doing a task on the laptop to doing it on the iPad instead. I dont mean the obvious browse the internet, watch Youtube and check email…I am talking more; utility, niche, poweruser, etc. kind of tasks. Things typically perceived as requiring a traditional computer to do.
Here are some of the things I have in mind (most of which I have not actually used yet):
* **Microsoft Office**: I know the version on the iPad is not 100% as capable as the computer programs are, but its come a long way. Was exploring them last night. Likely good enough to do 99% of what I typically do in Office on a computer. Resume’s, letters, “simple” spreadsheets, “simple” presentations and notes. I also happen to already have o365.
* **Working Copy**: I am active on Github and now Gitlab as well. Most of what I do being shell scripts and markdown (so pretty simple). I do however gpg sign my commits (which the app seems to support) and use 2FA. Until now I had simply done this 100% via the web/browser editor on the respective sites. This could streamline things for me.
* **Microsoft RDP**: Should allow me to RDP into Windows machines on my network. On Linux I had used Remmina, which also supported VNC, Spice, etc. Would be nice to find something that does it all as well as Remmina had.
* **iMovie**: I will probably use this to edit video. On the laptop had been using Shot cut/Kdenlive and nothing real fancy.
* **Terminus**: Used for SSH into my Linux/*nix based machines. Has so far worked well, but when I had Android used Juice SSH, really miss that app. Was just easier to use, smoother, idk.
* **Notability/GoodNotes**: For taking notes should I get the Apple pen, still unsure if I will get it.
Some of what I am looking for or considering:
* **PDF’s**: something to open, edit, sign, save PDF’s.
* **Calculator**: Just something as simple as on the iPhone. Offline, trustworthy, simple.
* **Networking/Wifi Info**: Something reliable/trustworthy to scan Wifi around me, see SSID’s, channels, etc. Used to use Wifi Analyzer when I used Android, something similar to that.
* **Spice viewer**: Have a Proxmox server and many of the virtual clients are setup using Spice for display. Would be nice to have an app to connect to/use Spice instead of relying on RDP/VNC/SSH.
* **Youtube Downloader**: Just looking for a simple, no bs way to download video/audio from Youtube. I dont do it often, but I would like the ability. So far all my searches lead to either questionable apps or a Shortcut that cant be used because iPadOS 13.x doesn’t allow unauthorized shortcuts any longer nor the option to allow them (and I have yet to find a step by step on how to make the shortcut myself).
So in any case that’s what I have going on. Would be interested to see what apps are helping others break free of traditional computers and allowing them to use their iPad as the day-to-day “computer” in their life. Thanks