The three most annoying iOS features – or lack thereof – from a recent Android convert
edit: this intention of this post is not to say iOS is bad. I’m just bringing these issues to light and trying to start a discussion. Are they common complaints? Are there plans to fix these? Do you these these are non-issues? Let’s discuss.
Switched from Galaxy s8 to 11 pro on release day btw.
1. Independent volumes for each type of notification and media
– on android you can conveniently choose and modify the separate volumes for texts, other notifications, calls, and media. I’d us this a lot as I don’t want my constant texts making noise but I DO need to hear a phone call come through. And when I watch a video at work or in class I don’t want the volume to be loud right off the bat.
– On iPhone you just set a volume for everything and that’s it. I have to choose if I want to annoy everyone with constant pings from texts or not hear a phone call come though. I have to risk opening an auto-playing video with the volume way up in quiet settings. Not cool.
– Just press the volume key on the android to choose the volume of what is currently relevant on the phone or simply expand the volume window that pops us to choose the volumes of the other categories. Fast, easy, intuitive.
2 . Receiving phone calls
– Why in the world does receiving a call make my phone unusable for the duration? If I don’t want to answer, can’t answer, or think it’s a spam call I just can’t use my phone until I’ve waited or acted on this stupid phone call.
– Example: yesterday I was taking a video to do some documentation when I received a spam call. It stopped the video and I had to restart it. Then my coworker called me to see why it wasn’t done yet. Stopped the video again.
– On android the received phone call doesn’t interrupt what you’re doing. It just pops up in a little window and you can deal with it or dismiss it from there if you like.
3 . Organizing apps on the home screens and lack of an app drawer
– You cannot simply place apps where you want them on the screen. They all gravitate up to the top of the screen; the furthest away they can get from your fingers lol.
– why can’t I just put the apps I use a lot at the bottom of the screen so they’re easy to tap with one hand? Why do I have to clutter my home screen with useless apps just to push the ones I want near the bottom to the bottom? This is such an arbitrary and stupid feature it annoys the crap out of me.
– I’ve had this phone for two months and I still have to really look at the screen to find certain apps because there is so much clutter. Give us an app drawer or at least let us choose the placement of them on the screen. Ugh.
Overall the iPhone is a great phone but they really don’t seem as superior as people make them out to be. I was really hoping to be wowed by the synergies I heard of. Regardless, these three things annoy me every day and should be easy to fix. Are these common complaints or am I alone here?
edit2: The battery life and imessage/facetime outweigh these cons though.
Also a quick thank you to everyone who is taking the time to comment