A Shortcut to make your AirPods experience between devices more seamless! (And other tips)
I got a request to share this as its own post after posting it in a comment, but basically this solves one of my biggest gripes about the AirPods and this sentiment is shared pretty widely to my knowledge, the fact that they don’t automatically switch devices. Well, before today they didn’t :p
The set up for this is not only simple, but easily customisable too, you can pick any app to trigger this action, or even an NFC tag if you’re that way inclined (basically anything in the “When” portion of Automations is fair game.
What this will do is connect your AirPods to your iPhone/iPad without you having to lift a finger once you open a particular app or apps, if you don’t mind setting up multiple automations.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. Connect your AirPods/Beats to your device.
2. Go to the Shortcuts App.
2. Tap “Automations” in the tab bar (requires iOS/iPadOS 13.1 or higher)
3. Tap the + symbol, then scroll down and tap “Open App”
4. Choose app of choice (for example, Music)
5. Tap “Add Action”, then “Scripting”
6. Scroll to and then tap “Set Playback Destination”
7. Select your AirPods/Beats (if you skipped step 1, they won’t show here)
8. Tap Next.
9. Turn off “ask before running” (or don’t if you would prefer to tap the notification and then “Run Automation” rather than have it fire automatically) and hit “Done”.
And there you are! Unfortunately this tip doesn’t work on Mac due to a lack of a Shortcuts app (maybe 10.16?), but the app “AirBuddy” by 9to5Mac writer Guilherme Rambo brings the pop up window from iOS for W1/H1 devices to macOS, and crucially, one click connecting. This method is faster than having the Sound or Bluetooth menu bar items, since it only requires a single click, and if the window fails to appear, you can set a keyboard shortcut to force it.
I hope this helps!