[SPS] [iOS] KINN is privacy-first Contacts manager app which helps you manage your contacts and remind you to keep in touch with friends and family
I’ve launched [KINN](https://apps.apple.com/app/kinn-contacts-manager/id1343398089) a long time ago but I never had *the courage* (unlike Phil) to promote it here because I didn’t feel like it was “ready”. This week I’ve released v1.6.0 and I finally feel like it’s at a point where it provides some real value, with some more great features planned next.
## Download it from the App Store here:
And you can follow updates here: [https://twitter.com/KINNContactsApp](https://twitter.com/KINNContactsApp)
## Why KINN?
* It’s built with privacy in mind – using just your device Contacts and local notifications
* Helps you manage your contacts (add, view and **delete multiple contacts at once**)
* Reminds you about birthdays and ability to set custom reminders for contacts
* Daily suggestions of people to get in touch with and favourites
* Exclude people who you don’t want to be reminded about
* Filter and display contacts by name, organisation or by their birthday (in a timeline)
* Set your Me Contact Card for a personalised experience (more on this coming soon in a future update)
* Support for iOS 13, Dark Mode, Haptic Feedback and beautiful icons.
* Support for accessibility and VoiceOver (but a lot more work needed).
* It’s free (at least for now)!
## Coming soon 🔜
* Groups management and smart groups on your iPhone (coming v1.7.0)
* Easy tools to clear empty contacts or merge duplicate contacts
* See recent changes to your contacts book
* Improve accessibility of the app
* More personalisation features and suggestions based on your Me Contact Card
## Background on how KINN came about to be
For a long while I’ve been concerned with my privacy and manipulation on social media apps like Facebook and Instagram. Two years ago I’ve completely removed most of my social media accounts (except Twitter). Before that I have done a thorough analysis on how I was using them and discovered that for Facebook for instance, I was using it as a proxy to get in touch with friends and people I knew after seeing their posts on my timeline (thanks to the unknown algos), which might as well have been random for me. Another useful feature was knowing and being reminded about people’s birthdays.
With this in mind I’ve built KINN to do just that, remind me to get in touch with random people from time to time, birthdays as well as a small group of favourites (which I assigned close friends and family).
I have since understood that while I have satisfied some of my needs, I could make KINN a much better contacts manager. So recently I have been working on improving on the Contacts app. And because I have been concerned with the closed source code from those apps, I have made parts of KINN open source to improve on transparency [here](https://github.com/dragosrobertn/KNContacts) and [here](https://github.com/dragosrobertn/KNContactsPicker). I’m planning to make more of it open source with time.
I understand the app makes an assumption that you keep an organised contacts book and that not everyone will have that.
## Feedback / bug reports / suggestions welcome
Let me know what you think. I am really open to hear your **constructive** feedback and opinions.
I can also be reached out to on [Twitter](https://twitter.com/dragosrobertn).