[REVIEW AND COMPARISON] GoodNotes 5 vs Notability 9.2.3
I decided to make a review and comparison of GoodNotes 5 and Notability since there were more improvements and additional features since the last reviews that I have read on this subreddit, I hope my review helps!
I’ve been using GoodNotes for over a year now, and I just bought Notability last month and I have been using it frequently. I mainly annotate lecture slides and write notes (which produce notebooks that are 20+ A4 sized pages) on my iPad.
* lots of customization
* paper templates
* pen and highlighter size (0.5 mm intervals)
* easy switching of notebooks
* full-screen view available
* I find that GoodNotes is best used for making notebooks that are really structured and organized
* Has a very good zoom in window; properly moves the window especially when you get to the edge of the page.
* highlights behind the text
* presentation mode
* Feels laggy
* Transparent PNG’s are blurry when you zoom them in.
* The highlighter tool cannot be used to create shapes, only straight lines.
* takes up a lot of internal memory
* user interface may be intimidating to some
* short lines drawn with the shape tool sometimes wouldn’t be completely straight, may have stubs at ends
* doesn’t have continuous scrolling
* only backs up to iCloud
* cannot zoom out farther (unlike Notability)
* simple and straightforward interface
* can modify handwriting’s color and thickness
* colors of pen and highlighter are the same
* unlike GoodNotes, colors of the pen and highlighter tool have separate palettes
* I find that Notability is best used for taking notes during lectures, annotating lecture slides, quick scrap notes
* Just to elaborate, some of my professors do not upload lecture slides in advance and having the voice record function is really helpful
* Some professors don’t discuss much, annotating slides are sufficient
* continuous scrolling; I like this since it makes sense for a digital notebook to not have breaks in between pages
* highlights behind the text
* highlighter tool is more vibrant
* a lot of backup options
* transparent PNG’s are sharper compared to GoodNotes
* I find that Notability manages memory better
* shape tool isn’t as good as GoodNotes’s
* easier to make shapes that are filled
* bad zoom in window
* When you get to the edge of the page and write on the blue area, it doesn’t let you write on the edge itself. Instead, it proceeds to the next line
* limited choice of paper templates
* pen width isn’t as customizable as GoodNotes’s
* Subject Names cannot be repeated
* no option to change sorting of notes (sort by newest, etc)
* Developers take a long time before they add features that people want
When choosing between GoodNotes and Notability it all comes down to what kind of notes you’re going to take and what you’re going to use the app for. If you like customization, I suggest that you go for GoodNotes. If you are more of a person who writes direct and simple notes and doesn’t plan to have their notebook printed, I suggest going for Notability.
If there is anything I have missed or if I have typed something by mistake, please let me know! Thank you for reading my review 😀