I created Healthshare, a completely free to use app that allows you to securely and continuously share your health information with family and doctors. Please give it a try and let me know what you think of it!
Digital health platforms such as wearables, smart devices, and mobile apps can help health care providers gather more information about the patient’s lifestyle, vitals, symptoms, and other experiences. A patient’s health can be documented actively and passively at home, providing far more data than the standard tests performed periodically at a doctor’s office. Utilizing remote health monitoring technologies to bring together more data about individuals will result in a personalized path towards improved care for every patient. This vision of transforming the future of care and empowering patients has been around for years but the digitization of health has not been at the required level until recently.
Today, health data is continuously being collected at home. For instance, iPhone users by default have the Apple Health App, a platform designed to import all kinds of health data from other sources into a single location where users can easily view that data. Users commonly use the Apple Health App to track their exercise activity, vitals, weight loss, diabetes, chronic conditions, sleep quality, and much more. An overwhelming majority of popular smart devices that collect health data allow the users to import their data into Apple Health including the Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitor System for diabetes, Qardio blood pressure monitor, and Apple Watch, to name a few. While Apple Health does a good job of accumulating a user’s health into one place, it lacks the ability to share this data with family, doctors, and health care providers. Users are limited to exporting their health into a raw and usually large XML file. Healthshare fills this gap by seamlessly synchronizing with Apple Health and empowering individuals to passively share their health data in the background as needed with minimal setup.
Healthshare features currently include:
* End-to-end encryption security to ensure ownership of data and thus can only be viewed by those the individual explicitly specified
* Support of a large variety of health categories including blood pressure, blood glucose, heart rate, insulin delivery, sleep analysis, body temperature, body weight, step count, exercise, active calories burned, resting calories burned, calories consumed, carbohydrates consumed, fat consumed, and protein consumed
* Apple Health Integration that synchronizes data accumulated by Apple Health to the Healthshare Cloud. Synchronization seamlessly continues in the background when new data is entered into Apple Health even when Healthshare isn’t open.
* Powerful graphs to visualize health which can be adjusted by years, months, weeks, days, and hours
* Ability to add, edit and delete health records. Notes can be appended
* Fine tuned permissions for each individual’s followers. This empowers users to only share what they want. Permissions can be granted and revoked at any time by the user
* Push notifications to get alerts when those you are following have new data. The frequency of notifications can be specified
* A nutrition section to keep track of calories consumed, carbohydrates consumed, fat consumed, and protein consumed
* Ability to delete account and data at any time
# Use Cases
Some use cases for the Healthshare Platform include the monitoring of:
* Vitals such as blood pressure, heart rate, body temperature
* Sleep quality
Healthshare is committed to securing the data of our users. We have implemented an end-to-end encryption paradigm based on the Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme. Your health records are protected with AES 256-bit encryption, widely accepted as the strongest encryption available. Encrypted data is additionally signed with a SHA-256 Hash-Based Message Authentication Code to ensure data integrity. The Master Password, which is used to generate encryption keys through the secure key derivation function PBKDF2, is known only to the user. In order to allow users to securely share their health records with others, we utilize the anonymous key agreement protocol Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman. User health records are encrypted and decrypted at the device level and not on the Healthshare cloud, as such Healthshare never has access to the raw data. The Healthshare cloud stores all health records in AWS DynamoDB, a secure and scalable NoSQL database that is compliant with SOC, PCI, FedRAMP, and HIPAA.
Healthshare is completely free to use for consumers. All that we ask is for you to provide feedback so that we can discover bugs and know what features to prioritize. In the future we will only charge care providers that need to track a significant amount of patients.
I spent over a year developing this platform and it would mean the world if you gave it a try. I hope this community finds it useful!