The world's largest rugged smartphone just had a massive price cut
We've got excellent news for those of you that have always wanted a rugged smartphone, but are unwilling to spend a fortune. The world's largest rugged mobile – the Blackview BV6100 – is currently available for just under $110 (roughly £90/AU$165), down from nearly $200.
With a 6.88-inch display, the BV6100 is not dissimilar to popular non-rugged tablets like the Amazon Fire 7. While it is still a little more expensive, it has a few extra features that make it a compelling purchase.
- Here's our list of the best rugged tablets on the market
- We've built a list of the best business tablets of 2020
- Check out our list of the best business tablets available
A phone like no other
The BV6100 (which sits is somewhere between a phone and a tablet) can make calls and access the internet without Wi-Fi connectivity. It also has one front and two rear cameras, although none surpass 8 megapixels, so are only suitable for casual snapping.
The AMOLED display has a 1440 x 720 pixel resolution, which is likely to lack sharpness, and the pixel density (234ppi) is also far lower than the 400+ ppi we’re used to seeing on mainstream smartphones.
On the other hand, a lower pixel count will improve battery life (it comes with a 5.58Ah battery) and graphical performance (it's powered by the entry-level MT6761 chip, which uses a PowerVR GE8300 GPU).
A tablet with a difference
The BV6100, like most Chinese smartphones, can accommodate two SIM cards and supports dual standby.
It comes with only 3GB of RAM and 16GB onboard storage, which can be increased using a microSD card. The rest of the specification includes Android 9.0, IP68/MIL-STD-810G/IP69K, reverse charging, FaceID, four global navigation satellite systems, NFC and a covered microUSB port.
- Here's our list of the best rugged smartphones of 2020
Bear in mind
- US users will not be able to take advantage of some features available only in Europe and Asia and are advised to consult Blackview for further details.
- If this product comes from mainland China, it will take at least a month to reach either the US or UK (and potentially more). You may be levied a tax either directly or through the courier.
- If you've managed to get hold of a cheaper product with equivalent specifications, in stock and brand new, let us know and we'll tip our hat to you.