Best app(s) for research workflow
I have worked myself through a billion of youtube videos regarding different note and annotation apps. I have read countless “best app for …” and “this is why I use … for …” blog posts. And guess what: I still cannot figure out what the best choice of app(s) is out there for me and my kind of workflow.
So I do ask for your kindness and helpfullness, even tho this question has been asked in different ways a million times.
I will start a new research project (Masters level in a scientific research master) and I got my hands on a 12.9 IPad Pro with Pencil and want to use this loveley device to support myself during this time. My other working machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad (obviously with Windows).
**Here is what I have to do and what I want to archieve:**
* Work myself through a lot of PDFs (mostly on my IPad)
* Read them
* Highlight stuff
* Annotate things
* **Extract, sort and gather excerpt of many PDFs in one place**
* **Use the extracted excerpts when I draft and write my pape**r (mostly on my Lenovo)
* Look up stuff that I highlighted and annotated when my excerpts are not enough
My problem are the two bold parts. I know there is stuff like LiquidText and Flexcil. I also know GoodNotes5, Notabillity and OneNote. But I cannot find a way to connect those in the way I want it to happen.
**My dream would be the following scenario:**
I read and annotate + highlight many PDFs. During the process, if I find “key” information, I want to cut that part out (or copy / drag and drop it) and put it in my “notes” in the place where that part belongs, e.g. “Interesting theories” or “Quantitative models” or “Theoretical background for the research question”. And then I want that to either be linked back to the PDF (like LiquidText does it but LiquidText notes live in LiquidText and I cannot use them anywhere else) or at least have a reference (like the filename where the copied part comes from) added to the excerpt. Later on I will go through my notes, also containing the excerpts, and make more notes there, annotate in the notes and add other stuff to build up an “information ecosystem” which then is used when I draft and write my paper.
The main problems are:
* Getting parts out of PDFs into notes and have them carry a reference where they come from in an easy way
* Use all of that on two different systems (IPad and my Lenovo)
* Im fine with only using my IPad for PDF annotation and highlighting but the extracted notes have to live somewhere where I can also use them with my Lenovo
This story is longer than I want it to be but I feel kinda silly, that I cannot work that problem out on my own.
Thanks to anybody that tries to help! Have a nice day <3