What features/improvements are you most hopeful for in iOS14?
Here’s a generalized list of stuff I’m hopeful for.
1. **Siri:** Should be able to process and execute commands without requiring a constant internet connection.
* It sucks that you can download music/podcasts, but you can’t have Siri play them if internet isn’t available.
* Also, general improvements in “intelligence” would be great. I’ve read that Apple has poached a few high level AI/language processing guys from Google, so fingers crossed here 🤞
* I’d also like an overhaul of the Siri UI. I don’t like the way the Siri activity takes up the *entire* screen – I would much prefer something similar to Apple TV where a little Siri icon just appears in either the top or bottom of the screen to indicate Siri is listening.
2. **Call UI:** This is a big one – I’d love to see calls handled as a banner-style notification (with an accept or reject option as part of the notification itself). Kind of similar to Siri, I don’t like the way the incoming-call event monopolizes the entire screen.
3. **Messages:** RCS support! Would really love to see that. Now that the Android bois have it, it would make texting much nicer since it seems like people in the US can’t all agree to just use a third party app like Signal (which I really wish more people used, by the way).
4. **Animation De-Emphasis:** This one is probably more controversial, but personally I’d love the OS to put more emphasis on speed and simplicity of appearance than all these flashy swiping animations. I know there’s an Accessibility option to “reduce motion” but that goes too far the other direction. I just wish we as users had more control over the animation speed and general “flashiness” if that makes sense, but I accept that I’m probably in the minority here.
5. **Better Battery Optimization:** Apple’s addition of the “Optimized Battery Charging” option is a great first step. It’s taught me a lot about battery health and good charging habits, etc. but now I’d really like more. You know how electric cars give you the option to limit the maximum level that the car will charge to? So for example you could say “Don’t charge above 75% unless I tell you to”? I’d love to see something like that for phones, so that I could just leave my phone on a charger and not worry about it entering a trickle-charge state.
* Again, I realize I’m probably in the minority here in wanting this. But it’d be great!
How about you, what features are you most hopeful for?