Huawei P40 launch live blog: today's big phone unveiling as it happens
The Huawei P40 is here, and after a turbulent year for the Chinese company this is Huawei's opportunity to show off its top-end handsets that it hopes will blow away competition like the Samsung Galaxy S20.
Today (March 26) is the launch for the Huawei P40 family, and due to the coronavirus pandemic the company has decided to pull it Paris launch, so just have an online-only event.
That means we're watching Richard Yu (CEO of Huawei Consumer Business Group) and other representatives take to a stage somewhere in the world, where they will unveil the handset to an audience-less room.
Below we're talking you through all of the details of the Huawei P40 launch as they happen.
Huawei P40 launch live blog
All times in UK Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
13:17 – We're onto camera now, and that's sure to be the main focus of this show as Huawei takes pride in its camera technology.
It's calling the P40 the "most powerful Ultra Vision camera". The P40 comes with a triple camera, P40 Pro a quad camera while the P40 Pro Plus comes with a penta shooter.
13:15 – The Huawei P40 and Pro Pro both come in black, deep sea blue, ice white as well as silver front and blush old. The P40 Pro Plus comes in ceramic white and ceramic black.
13:13 – The phone comes with a new in-screen fingerprint sensor that the company claims is better than before as it's larger and faster.
13:08 – As expected, the Huawei P40 series comes with a Quad-Curve overflow display. That means the screen is curved at the top and bottom as well as on the sides of the handset.
It looks like a unique design that we haven't seen on any other flagship phones.
13:06 – The Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro and Huawei P40 Pro Plus have all just been unveiled on stage by Richard Yu.
That third phone is a brand new line for the Huawei flagship series. We originally expected it to be called the Huawei P40 Pro Premium, but instead the company has opted for Plus.
13:00 – Huawei CEO Richard Yu has just walked out on stage at the P40 launch, and we're just getting underway. Here we'll be talking you through all the latest on the next phones from the company.
Let's get started!
11:45 – It's looking increasingly likely that we might see a Huawei P40 Pro Plus 5G (aka the Huawei P40 Pro Premium) alongside the P40 and P40 Pro, as an extensive specs list for the phone has just leaked, right ahead of its likely announcement.
If rumors are to be believed it has a slick 120Hz refresh rate, a hefty 12GB of RAM, and 10x optical zoom, among other things. Could this be the star of Huawei's show?
11:30 – What are you hoping to see today? You can vote below in our Twitter poll:
10:05 – Oh, and we forgot to mention we have a guide that tells you how to watch the Huawei P40 launch live. That way you can follow along with the launch as we talk about it in this live blog.
09:50 – It's a matter of hours until we'll be hearing about the Huawei P40 series, and we've put together this live blog so you can follow along with the latest as it happens. The launch is set to start at 1PM GMT / 9AM ET / 6AM PT / 11PM AEST.
What are we expecting to see today? It's anticipated that Huawei will announce a variety of new products, and we've put together a handy guide to them below from the current leaks and rumors.
- Huawei P40 – The Huawei P40 won't be the top-end handset from the company, but it's still set to be a flagship that's suitable for the average person.
- Huawei P40 Pro – We're expecting big camera upgrades for the whole P40 series, but it's likely a lot of them will be debuting on the P40 Pro considering the shooter the company included on the P30 Pro.
- Huawei P40 Pro Premium – This is a new line in the Huawei family, and it's rumored to be the top-end handset money can buy from the company. Exactly what it'll do differently to the other two phones is currently unclear.
- Huawei Watch GT 2e – This is a strange one. Huawei has confirmed it's coming, but it seems to just be a redesign of Watch GT 2. With a name like GT 2e, that may mean it's a more affordable product though.
- Something else – Huawei is always keen on having a surprise at its launches so we may hear about something we haven't seen leaked before.