Apple Announces New 27-Inch iMac With 10th-Gen Processors, Up to 128GB RAM, 1080p Webcam, True Tone, and More
Apple today announced a new 27-inch iMac with faster 10th-generation Intel Core processor options, next-generation AMD graphics, up to 128GB of RAM, a higher-resolution 1080p front-facing FaceTime camera, a True Tone display with a nano-texture glass option, a T2 chip, higher fidelity speakers, studio-quality microphones, and more.
A breakdown of the new 27-inch iMac’s features and specs:
- 10th-generation Intel Core processors for up to 65 percent faster CPU performance, according to Apple. This includes up to a 10-core option with a 3.6GHz base clock speed and Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz, whereas the previous-generation iMac used 9th-generation Intel processors with up to eight cores.
- Next-generation AMD Radeon Pro 5000 series graphics options with up to 55 percent faster performance than the previous generation, according to Apple.
- Up to 128GB of RAM, compared with up to 64GB with the previous generation.
- Up to 8TB of SSD storage, compared with up to 2TB with the previous generation.
- True Tone technology that automatically adjusts the white balance of the iMac display to match the color temperature of the light around you. Apple says this provides a more natural viewing experience.
- Nano-Texture glass is available as a $500 upgrade option. Also available on the Pro Display XDR, Apple says this finish “maintains contrast while scattering light to reduce glare to the barest minimum.”
- 1080p front-facing FaceTime camera, up from 720p on previous generation.
- Apple’s custom-designed T2 Security chip for encryption. The chip checks that software loaded during the boot process has not been tampered with.
- Apple says the T2 Security Chip also works with the speakers to enable variable EQ for better balance, higher fidelity, and deeper bass.
- A new studio-quality microphone array for higher-quality audio.
Starting at $1,799, the new 27-inch iMac is available to order today on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app. It will begin arriving to customers and will be in select Apple Store locations and Apple Authorized Resellers starting this week.
The new 27-inch iMac features the same design used since the 2012 model, with a redesigned, Apple Silicon-based iMac expected later this year.
Apple today also made a minor update to the iMac Pro, equipping the base configuration with the 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon W chip that was previously an upgrade option. In addition, the smaller 21.5-inch iMac now comes standard with SSDs across the line for the first time. Customers can still choose to configure their 21.5-inch iMac with a Fusion Drive.
This article, "Apple Announces New 27-Inch iMac With 10th-Gen Processors, Up to 128GB RAM, 1080p Webcam, True Tone, and More" first appeared on MacRumors.com
Discuss this article in our forums